The hall has been home to the Constable family for the last 700 years. Circa 1500’s manor house was built to replace an old pele tower which has stood to protect the village since the reign of King Stephen in the 12th Century. This coincided with the clearance of a village to make way for a deer park. In 1560 the majority of the manor house was demolished and in its place a mansion was built. It is thought that in building was completed by the beginning if the 16th Century.
Now visitors have access to 30 rooms which have been opened to the public for the viewing of the splendor of fine furniture, paintings and sculptures, as well as the opportunity to stroll around the gardens and the park, which landscape was commissioned by Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown in 1772-1782.